There’s nothing more empowering than hearing women empowering others by being bold, and bravely sharing their: style, business, health, heart, and personal thoughts that will motivate and empower YOU. Today I have the honor of introducing you to an incredible Woman of Influence, and her name, is Tessa Clark.
Give your bio in 5 Seconds:
I’m a designer residing in Cincinnati, Ohio and I’ve founded an affordable luxury label called Grind and Glaze, which is inspired by my upbringing in rural Ohio. I love creating universes for my muse to live in… I love the fantasy facet to designing and creating collections. I live to dream.
1. What are you deeply passionate about?
Collaborating with other creatives. I love the camaraderie of collaboration, I love the the doors it opens, but mostly I love being around the people and creating something beautiful together. I am also passionate about educating others on the topic of sustainability and ethics in the textile / fashion industry.
2. What did you dream of doing as a little girl?
I knew I wanted to be an artist when I grew up, like my mom.
3. What has been the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome in your life up until now?
Learning that being alone can be fulfilling if you like yourself.
4. What is the first thing you do when you get up on the morning?
I’ve been feeling guilty about being on my phone so much in bed, but while still laying in bed, I clear my phone of all email and social media notifications.
5. What advice do you wish you were given before you started your business?
I’m privileged– I have wonderful mentors and I’ve been given a lot of advice. I wish I would have followed my mom’s advice to not rush into spending money on materials a little over a year ago. Lesson learned.
6. Coffee or Tea?
I love both! But typically drink more coffee. My go to coffee shop? Collective Espresso.
7. What’s the last thing you do before you go to sleep?
The same thing I do when I wake up, clear my phone of notifications. I’ve been trying to get in a better routine of not getting on my phone before bed. It’s a hard habit to break.
8. Favorite flowers?
9. How do you relieve stress?
If a task will take less than 5 minutes, I do it immediately. I’ve been trying to say “no” more often. Saying “yes” to every project adds a lot of stress. I can’t handle everything that comes my way, so I’m trying to be selective.
10. What are 3 skincare products you can’t live without?
Plain Dove bar soap, CereVe lotion, YesTo Tomatoes makeup remover wipes.
11. What’s one thing every woman should own?
12. Biggest fashion influence?
My mother. Without her interest in fashion I wouldn’t have had the exposure and love for it that I do. We have fun when discussing fashion and shopping. She helped me design my first collection.
13. Heels or flats?
Heels! I’m 5’2”
14. Bucket list fashion buy?
I’ve been wanting a pair of LOQ shoes. I’d also love to own anything from Ellery.
15. Favorite piece of clothing you own?
I just purchased a skirt from AWAKE’s FW17 collection. It’s definitely my new favorite piece. Hello sale at Linda Dresner.
16. What are 3 makeup products you can’t live without?
NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla, Becca Shimmering Skin Perfecter Pressed Highlighter in Opal, Anastasia Dipbrow in Dark Brown.
17. What is your guilty pleasure?
I spend way too much money on lattes from Collective Espresso.
18. What is the last song you listened to?
Lemon by NERD feat Rihanna
19. I need….
20. I want…..
To educate consumers on the realities of fast fashion.
21. Who is your biggest inspiration?
My parents. Grind refers to my dad grinding grain into flour at the mill my parents used to own. Glaze refers to my mom glazing her handmade pottery. Our lifestyle growing up influenced me in many creative ways.
22. What’s your mantra for 2018?
Ooh, I don’t think I have one yet. I’ll go with the classic “keep your nose to the grindstone.”
23. What’s next on your bucket list?
Launching my own brand online!
24. What is your greatest achievement?
This is a tough question. I would say making the decision to launch my own label.
25. What’s your favorite part of your body?
26. Describe yourself in one word.
Just one? Driven.
27. If you could say anything to the next generations behind you, what would you want them to know?
Don’t settle. Learn the difference between sympathy and empathy. Speak it into existence.
Connect with Tessa Clark and her brand Grind and Glaze here: